Research suggests active kids get better grades, are less likely to become obese, and are more likely to continue being active into adulthood. The same research goes on to suggest active families create active kids! With television, video games, and other inactive distractions, sometimes today’s youth need some encouragement to get off the couch and get moving.
What’s more encouraging than a little friendly family competition that gets everybody moving, smiling, and making exercise part of a happy, healthy lifestyle? Try these 3 fun, simple exercise “contests” with your kids.
For video on these family challenges, CLICK HERE! (http://spiderfitkids.com/fit-family-challenges/)
#1: The Mobility Master
1. Grab a broomstick or other rod about 3 feet in length.
2. While standing, place the broomstick on your back, in line with your spine.
3. The hands should hold the broomstick in the small of the back and behind the neck.
4. Keeping the back of the head, upper spine, and tailbone in contact with the broomstick, bend at the hips as if you are bowing.
5. Knees can be slightly bent at the start, but cannot continue to bend.
6. If the head, upper spine, or tailbone lose contact with the broomstick, you are out.
7. The winner is the one who can bend the furthest keeping everything in contact with the broomstick.
#2: The Get- Up Guru Challenge
1. Sit on the floor with the arms crossed across the chest.
2. Using any movement strategy you wish, except for crossing the legs or rotating the entire body to face another direction, come to a standing position without using your hands or arms.
3. If you can get up straight from your rear to your feet without coming to your knees or crossing your legs, you are a Get-Up Guru!
#3: The Jumping Jack Speedster
1. Set a timer for 20 seconds
2. When the timer starts, perform as many jumping jacks as possible in 20 seconds.
3. For a repetition to count, arms must remain straight, they must touch the sides of the legs at the bottom and the hands must touch above the head. Crown the fittest family member!
A family that moves together, THRIVES together!
Brett Klika, CEO of SPIDERfit Kids (www.spiderfitkids.com) is an award winning personal trainer, author, and international motivational speaker inspiring men, women, and children around the world to create a culture of wellness in their home and live the best version of their life. To contact Brett with questions or comments, email him at email@example.com.