Healthy Shredded Chicken Tacos
Who doesn’t love a fiesta at home? It’s easy, quick, and never disappoints. The already cooked rotisserie chicken saves so much time in the kitchen. I usually remove the skin and white meat in advance. Then, the chicken is prepped and ready to be reheated. The salsa can also be prepared ahead of time.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
• 2 rotisserie chickens, skin removed, white meat only, shredded
• 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1 c sour light sour cream
• ½ c fresh cilantro, chopped
• ¼ c red onion, finely chopped
• 4 scallions, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce
• ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
• ¼ cumin, ground
• ½ fresh lime, juiced
• 1teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
• 16-18 (6 in) tortilla shells
• 1 c lettuce, shredded
• ½ c goat cheese, crumbled
• ½ c Mexican cheese, shredded
1. Salsa-combine the tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, red onion, scallion, hot sauce, garlic, cumin, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
2. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and season with salt and pepper before serving.
3. Warm shredded chicken and taco shells in oven or microwave.
4. Fill tortillas with chicken, top with lettuce, salsa, and cheeses.
Recipe courtesy of Helen Agresti, RD. Helen Agresti is a Registered Dietitian with Professional Nutrition Consulting, LLC. She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and 5 children. For more Nutrition advice and healthy recipes follow her on twitter @HelenAgresti. For more information and recipes, go to www.pronutritionconsulting.com