Asparagus is a powerhouse vegetable that makes any dish look and taste elegantly delicious. It is nutrient dense in fiber, folate, and iron. Asparagus is also a natural diuretic and a wonderful detoxifier for the body. Many people are surprised to learn that asparagus is a prebiotic that supports the healthy bacteria in our digestive tract. This heart healthy vegetable is also a good source of vitamins A, C, E, and K. Asparagus is easy to cook on the grill. And it is incredibly flavorful after it is marinated. Feeling bloated? Chew on this!
• 10-12 asparagus spears, washed and bases trimmed
• ½ c low sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
• 2 teaspoons honey
• ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• 6 skewers
1. Marinate the asparagus in a ziploc bag for 1 hour or longer.
2. Soak skewers in cold water for 15 minutes.
3. Thread together 4 asparagus spears (top and bottom portions of the vegetable) using two skewers.
4. Spray grill generously with no-stick cooking spray.
5. Grill on medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes or until tender. Rotate using tongs to ensure they are evenly cooked.
6. Serve warm with your favorite entree
Recipe courtesy of Helen Agresti, RD. Helen Agresti is a Registered Dietitian with Professional Nutrition Consulting, LLC, www.pronutritionconsulting.com.
NEW! Check out Helen’s new app: The 24_7 Dietitian app will be launched mid-June, download is free, and it will be iOS and Android friendly. It is a healthy extension of Pro Nutrition’s passion of helping people achieve their weight loss goals by living a more nutritious and healthy lifestyle. The 24_7 Dietitian app will allow users to journal and track their nutrition and fitness goals, post questions and pictures, and most importantly have the ability to have personal nutrition coaching anytime of the day (for a monthly fee of $20). Follow her on Twitter @24_7dietitian and on Instagram.