These mini frittata muffins provide a healthy balance of vitamins A and C, protein, fiber, and potassium. They are perfect for those rushed mornings when your kids are running late for school. They also serve well as an after school snack or pregame fuel. This recipe can easily be modified with your favorite ingredients. Check out the options below to get an idea of how you can add protein and/or whole grains to the recipe.
Makes 24 mini muffins (Serving size 3)
• 2 c egg whites or eggbeaters
• ¾ c pico de gallo or any fresh salsa
• ½ cup shredded cheddar
*Optional lean protein add-ins: all natural turkey, black beans, or tofu. Place a ½ teaspoon of protein on top of the salsa then add eggbeaters and cheese.
**Optional whole grain add-ins: short grain brown rice or quinoa. Place a thin layer of whole grains on the bottom of the muffin pan then add the salsa, eggbeaters, and cheese. The addition of the brown rice is a family favorite!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly coat each muffin tin with extra virgin olive oil spray.
3. Place 1 teaspoon of salsa into each tin.
4. Fill the remainder of the tins with the eggbeaters and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately or reheat for later.
Helen is the founder of Professional Nutrition Consulting and The 24_7 Dietitian app. She’s a mom of 5, contributor for the Huffington Post, triathlete, and chocolate lover. Helen is passionate about educating families on how to cook healthy meals and snacks at home. You can now receive Helen’s Personal Nutrition Coaching thru her 24_7 dietitian app-available on iOS and android. Go to www.pronutritionconsulting.com for more info.